Packed with majestical baobab trees, this park attracts an abundance of elephants, with herds of up to 300 easily and often seen. This park has the largest wildlife concentration second to the Serengeti ecosystem. Wildlife flock to the Tarangire River, in the dry seasons, making viewing memorable and fulfilling. The park is a bird watchers paradise, home to 550 species. Guided walking safaris are available for you to take it in on another level.
Best time to visit is in the dry season, between June and October, when large herds of animals are attracted to the Tarangire River. At this time, the elephant numbers are spectacular. Migratory wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, impala, gazelle, hartebeest and eland crowd the shrinking lagoons. Dry-country antelope such as fringe-eared oryx and the long-necked gerenuk are also regularly spotted. Abandoned termite-mounds often house mongoose colonies. All the main predators are present but, because of thick vegetation, not spotted as often as in some of the other parks in northern Tanzania. The park should be part of any safari in northern Tanzania.
Best Time to Go
- Best time to go: June to October (Animals congregate around the Tarangire River)
- High Season: June to October (The park is full of tourists)
- Low Season: April and May
- Best Weather: June to October (Little rainfall)
- Worst Weather: March and April (Peak of wet season)
- Animals migrate into the park from surrounding areas.
- Wildlife is easier to spot because vegetation thins out and animals gather around rivers and water holes.
- The weather is beautiful and sunny.
- There are less mosquitos and malaria risks are lower.
- The vegetation is lovely and full.
- Rates may be lower because it is low season.
- It is prime birdwatching time since migratory birds are present.
- Most animals migrate out of the park and wildlife viewing is considerably less good as the dry season.
- March to May is the peak of the wet season.
Don’t miss the opportunity to see wildlife because your time is short. Tarangire is easily done in a day. Head off from our B&B with a delicious packed lunch, for what can be the most unexpected day.